Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Homemade Cream of "?" Soup
I ran across this recipe today and thought that it would be great to share!
The "Cream of" soups are very costly (especially if you don't have a coupon or don't buy them on sale).
This basic roux recipe can turn into a great substitute for your Cream of mushroom/chicken soup mixes if you do not have any on hand and according to 5 dollar dinners only costs around $.50 to make compared to its $1.50 competitor (Campbell's).
Homemade White Sauce
2 T butter
2 T flour (I use rice flour to keep it GF!)
1-2 cups milk (whole or 2% is best!)
1. In saucepan, melt butter.
2. Once melted, add flour and whisk with butter.
3. Add milk to butter/flour mix and WHISK, WHISK, WHISK!
4. Cook on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir often. Sauce will thicken.
5. If sauce is too thin, whisk in more flour.
6. If sauce is too thick, whisk in more milk.
7. Add chopped mushrooms for "cream of mushroom", chopped celery for "cream of celery". Add 3-4 T chicken stock for "cream of chicken".
Thanks, 5 Dollar Dinners!
Please note that if you have never tried to make roux before...it burns very easily, you cannot walk away from it. When she says "Whisk" she means it! If at first you do not succeed...try, try again!
This recipe is also used for your basic gravy mix, add some bacon drippings for a great flavorful addition to mashed potatoes or rice!